Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Buddy X

With all the Black looks and Beyond beats and Rhymes and Feminism stuff we've been doing recently i was reminded of One of my favourite artists back in the 90's. When it came out in 1993 I was graduating from secondry school and it was such a big hit. It was by Neneh Cherry Who also did a version of it with Notorious B.I.G but i prefer the original. Anyway here it is. I recently found out it was (Supposedly)written about Lenny Kravitz who was cheating on Nenehs best friend Lisa Bonnet.

Buddy X was the name Kravitz would check into hotels while he was whoring himself off to groupies. Neneh was his opening act at the time and decided to take him down a peg or two.




I think it's a really interesting contrast to the hip hop videos that started popping up around that time. Even B.I.G's rap additions are full of the over masculinised material shown in the beyong beats and Rhymes video. It's funny that Nenehs lyrics should be merged with that.

Sorry the Sound is out of synch.

6 comments:

Trisha Arbuckle said...

I totally remember that song, it was one of my favorites as well. Although, I do completely disagree with how they verbalize inappropriate things. I didn't feel this way when I was younger, but I don't think I even paid much attention to it like I do now.

Anonymous said...

It was kind of odd to see the sound out of synch, but it was a good comparison. The lyrics don't quite fit the hip hop themes that we had been talking about in class. I had never paid attention to music videos, basically because I am not that into them. But now that we have looked at them more closely in class, it was startling to see how cookie cutter the videos are, and how they all show very much the same themes. Themes that unfortunately are perpetuated from one artist to the next and each time stronger and stronger.

*StEpHaNiE* said...

Ha that song is amazing I remember it! Yeah you bring up a good point. Even listening to songs from back then,then listening to songs now, they are like night and day. The lyrics, the tune, everything is different.

Meg said...

Loren, this is completely unrelated but I was wondering if you had a book called 'The Medium is the Massage' and if so can I borrow it? It's for my comm theories class. Errin said you might have it. Let me know!
Meg

Loz said...

I do. I'll bring it to class for you. It didn't cost much at all and i can't sell it so you could have it. It's eye opening.

adamreitz said...

A tear just streamed down my eye you brought back a true classic haha! That is some old ish brother, I love it. The acting is simply the funniest thing I have seen in forever but damn she brought the house down. Who you think you fooling? haha those lines are the real deal. I see what your saying man but I'm laughing to hard to even be mad.