Saturday, April 2, 2011

Update on vegetarianism.

I have been a flexible vegetarian for 3 weeks now. It took me a while to get started but it seemed like such a big thing for me that I just didn't know where to start.

First of all, I say flexible vegetarian as I will eat meat if we are somewhere that might require me to eat it. e.g family function or some such thing. And, as someone pointed out to me in an article, bacon is many a vegetarians downfall. It could very well be mine. I'm feeling great about my food choices recently. They are not great all the time, but they have been meat free. And while I can't say that I won't eat meat once in while I do know that i'm making health conscious decisions. Now if only I could give up some of the deserts.

I had my Birthday in March and one of the things I got was Nava Atlas' vegetarian 5-ingredient gourmet cookbook. I really like it. It has led me to some new meal favorites such as Quinoa and broccoli casserole and Peanut butter noodles. The last one is not as grim as it sounds and has a really nice blend of teryaki and honey and peanut butter.

For the most part these first forays into the book have been really simple and I've enjoyed reading through and following the directions and then sitting down to enjoy the meals. It's been a process thing. But, it's all a process thing. I'm excited for newer recipes(I've seen some on The Vegan adventures of Meggie and Ben that I want to try.) and following this more health conscious direction I'm going in. 

No comments: